Pentagon: No, Trump didn't consult with us like he said. We were 'blindsided.' (VIDEO)

Shortly after President Trump spoke with Turkey President Recep Tayyip Erdogan by telephone it seemed like almost immediately the White House was letting them move forward with a planned operation to attack Kurdish-forces that America once supported.

Trump claimed on Monday that he consulted with everybody but we're learning now that's not entirely true.

"I consulted with everybody. I always consult with everybody."

Even Fox News reported that Pentagon officials were "completely blindsided" and "shocked." It looks like they didn't get the message.

Defense Secretary Mark Esper posted and then very quickly deleted a tweet that contradicted the president: The "DOD does not endorse a Turkish operation in Northern Syria.”

This statement is completely different than the one the White House put out:

“Turkey will soon be moving forward with its long-planned operation into Northern Syria,” while adding that “United States forces, having defeated the ISIS territorial ‘Caliphate,’ will no longer be in the immediate area.”

Secretary Esper has only been in his post since July and may already be out of a job after this incident. We don't have too much information other than what was said.

The National Review has a good headline on this: "You're supposed to completely blindside the enemy, not the Pentagon."

Heck - it's even why former Defense Secretary James Mattis resigned earlier in the year - He just couldn't go along with Trump's plan to withdraw forces from Syria that emboldened America's enemies.

Trump, of course, is using the fact that he campaigned on withdrawal as a "non-surprise" so maybe he's referring to consultations that he did a long time ago and not recently. We wouldn't doubt that. In the meantime, he's alienating almost everybody in his administration and very few people are standing by him on this decision.